Example Models Home page
The example models have been developed to demonstrate the most common TUFLOW model design features and applications. This dataset is useful for experienced modellers wishing to further develop their skills, or looking for model configuration examples. Although the models are based on the TUFLOW tutorial model dataset, new users are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the basics of TUFLOW through the tutorials page before using this dataset (TUFLOW Tutorial Models).
Unlike the tutorial models, which progressively increase the level of complexity with each Module, the models below are standalone examples, and can be used as a reference to demonstrates various TUFLOW features. The models have typically been developed from the most basic 2D model examples and do not have step-by-step instructions, as per the tutorial models.
Example Model Data
The model data is available for download from the TUFLOW website.
- ArcGIS files: http://www.tuflow.com/Download/TUFLOW/Example%20Models/Example_Models_ArcGIS.zip
- MapInfo files: http://www.tuflow.com/Download/TUFLOW/Example%20Models/Example_Models_MapInfo.zip
- QGIS files: http://www.tuflow.com/Download/TUFLOW/Example%20Models/Example_Models_QGIS.zip
The download dataset only include model input files to keep the file download to a manageable size. The models can be run using the batch file provided in the "runs" folder (Complete_Model\Tuflow\runs\_run_all.bat). Before using the batch file you will first need to update it using a text editor.
- Open the batch file in a text editor.
- reset the file path references to the location of the single and double precision TUFLOW executables on your computer or network (TUFLOW_iSP_w64.exe and TUFLOW_iDP_w64.exe).
- Save the batch file and close the text editor.
- Double click on the .bat file in Windows Explorer to initiate the simulations.
Additional information on how to use and update batch files to execute multiple simulations is available here: Run TUFLOW From a Batch-file. The TUFLOW executable isn't included with the model datasets. If you haven't already got a copy, you can download the latest release from the TUFLOW website: http://www.tuflow.com/Tuflow%20Latest%20Release.aspx
Below is a complete list of the example models available for download from the TUFLOW website. The models are broken into 11 categories;
- Basic 2D model: 2D models in metric and imperial units
- Output options: 2D models with grid, point and region outputs. Time of peak, initial inundation and duration of inundation
- Boundary Condition Options: 1D and 2D models with various boundary condition types including water level, rainfall, 1D and stage boundaries
- Topography Updates: Linear and spatial topography updates as well as embankment breaches through water level triggers
- Loss Options: Various infiltration loss models
- Scenario/Event Management: Models demonstrate use of scenarios and events for multiple model runs
- Bridges: Bridge structures modelled in 1D and 2D
- 1D/2D modelling: Pipe, river and culvert networks linked to 2D domain
- 1D Operating Structures: Pump and sluice gate operational structures
- 2D/2D Modelling: Various multiple 2D domain models
- 2D GPU: 2D GPU modelling with stage-time and stage-discharge boundaries
- HPC: Various 2D and 1D2D model scenarios
Reference to the Model Name and a Preceding Base Model are provided for comparison purposes. Compare the models against each other to identify the command syntax and input data differences, and hence the updates that are required to activate the feature referred to in the model description.
|Model Category||Description||Model Name||Preceding Base model|
|Basic 2D Model||Write empty files||EG00_Empty_5m_000.tcf||N/A|
|Basic 2D model (SI units - m)||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf||EG00_Empty_5m_000.tcf|
|Basic 2D model (USA units - ft)||EG00_2D_5m_002.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Output options||2D grid output||EG01_2D_5m_001.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|2D plot output||EG01_2D_5m_002.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|2D region output||EG01_2D_5m_003.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Time of peak||EG01_2D_5m_004.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Time and duration of inundation||EG01_2D_5m_005.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Write Restart File||EG01_1D2D_5m_007.tcf||EG07_1D2D_5m_002.tcf|
|Recording gauge data at receptors||EG01_2D_5m_008.tcf||EG01_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Boundary Condition Options||Stage discharge downstream boundary (2d_bc, HQ)||EG02_2D_5m_001.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Stage time downstream boundary (2d_bc, HT)||EG02_2D_5m_002.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Spatially varied initial water level commands (2d_iwl)||EG02_2D_5m_003.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Internal catchment rainfall (2d_sa)||EG02_2D_5m_004.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Internal catchment rainfall (2D_sa_rf)||EG02_2D_5m_005.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Direct rainfall (2D_rf)||EG02_2D_5m_006.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|External and internal 1D boundaries (1d_bc)||EG02_1D2D_5m_007.tcf||EG07_1D2D_5m_002.tcf|
|2D pump (2d_bc, SH)||EG02_2D_5m_008.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Read Restart File||EG02_1D2D_5m_009.tcf||EG01_1D2D_5m_007.tcf|
|Topography Updates||Thin breakline topography update (2d_zsh)||EG03_2D_5m_001.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Thick breakline topography update (2d_zsh)||EG03_2D_5m_002.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Gully breakline topography update (2d_zsh)||EG03_2D_5m_003.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Region topography update - No merge (2d_zsh)||EG03_2D_5m_004.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Region topography update - Merge (2d_zsh)||EG03_2D_5m_005.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Topography update - TIN (2d_zsh)||EG03_2D_5m_006.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Variable geometry (embankment breach) - Time trigger (2d_vzsh)||EG03_2D_5m_007.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Variable geometry (embankment breach) - Water level trigger (2d_vzsh)||EG03_2D_5m_008.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Variable geometry (embankment breach) - Water level difference trigger (2d_vzsh)||EG03_2D_5m_009.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Cell resolution change||EG03_2D_2.5m_010.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Loss Options||Infiltration - IL/CL||EG04_2D_5m_001.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Infiltration - IL/CL||EG04_2D_5m_002.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Infiltration - IL/CL||EG04_2D_5m_003.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Infiltration - Green Ampt||EG04_2D_5m_004.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Infiltration - Green Ampt||EG04_2D_5m_005.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Infiltration - Green Ampt||EG04_2D_5m_006.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Infiltration - Horton||EG04_2D_5m_007.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Infiltration - Horton||EG04_2D_5m_008.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Infiltration - Horton||EG04_2D_5m_009.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Loss - IL/CL (Direct rainfall)||EG04_2D_5m_010.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Scenario/Event management||Scenario (single)||EG05_2D_5m_~s2~_001.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Scenario (multiple), Event (multiple), Set Variable||EG05_2D_~s1~_~s2~_~e1~_~e2~_006.tcf||EG05_2D_~e1~_~e2~_005.tcf|
|1D/2D Modelling||1D culverts: multidirectional and flap gated (1d_nwk)||EG07_1D2D_5m_001.tcf||EG02_2D_5m_004.tcf|
|1D river (1d_nwk), 2D floodplain||EG07_1D2D_5m_002.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|1D pipe network (1d_nwk), inflow to pits (1D), 2D floodplain||EG07_1D2D_5m_003.tcf||EG03_2D_5m_006.tcf|
|1D pipe network (1d_nwk), 2D floodplain direct rainfall inflow (2D)||EG07_1D2D_5m_004.tcf||EG03_2D_5m_006.tcf|
|1D culverts: ARR2016 blockage matrix (1d_nwk)||EG07_1D2D_5m_~e1~_~e2~_005.tcf||EG07_1D2D_5m_001.tcf|
|1D M channel: User defined flow matrix (1d_nwk)||EG07_1D2D_5m_006.tcf||EG02_2D_5m_004.tcf|
|SX Regions 1D2D Connections||EG07_1D2D_5m_007.tcf||EG07_1D2D_5m_001.tcf|
|1D Operating Structures||Operation controls: Pump (1d_nwk)||EG08_1D2D_5m_001.tcf||EG07_1D2D_5m_001.tcf|
|Operation controls: Sluice Gate (1d_nwk)||EG08_1D2D_5m_002.tcf||EG07_1D2D_5m_002.tcf|
|2D/2D Modelling||2D/2D model||EG09_2D2D_001.tcf||EG00_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|2D/2D model (Domain boundary traversing an embankment)||EG09_2D2D_002.tcf||EG09_2D2D_001.tcf|
|1D pipe network (1d_nwk), inflow to pits (1D)||EG09_2D2D_003.tcf||EG09_2D2D_001.tcf|
|TUFLOW HPC (Incl. GPU Hardware)||HPC Basic 2D Model run with CPU Hardware||EG10_2D_5m_001.tcf||EG01_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|HPC GPU Basic 2D Model run with single GPU hardware device (cards)||EG10_2D_5m_002.tcf||EG10_2D_5m_001.tcf|
|HPC Basic 2D Model run with multiple GPU hardware devices (cards)||EG10_2D_5m_003.tcf||EG10_2D_5m_002.tcf|
|HPC Basic (GPU hardware) 1D river (1d_nwk), 2D floodplain||EG10_1D2D_5m_003.tcf||EG07_1D2D_5m_001.tcf|
|HPC Basic (GPU hardware) 1D pipe network (1d_nwk), direct rainfall inflow (2D)||EG10_1D2D_5m_003.tcf||EG07_1D2D_5m_004.tcf|
|HPC Basic (GPU hardware) with SX Region 1D2D Connections||EG10_1D2D_5m_003.tcf||EG07_1D2D_5m_007.tcf|
- It is recommended that the TUFLOW manual be downloaded from the TUFLOW website.
- It is also recommended that a sound naming convention for TUFLOW models and associated files be adopted. This is described in the following page: TUFLOW Naming Convention.
- The following page (TUFLOW file types) describes the different file types and groups of files provided with this tutorial.
- The use of a modelling log is also beneficial and highly recommended. TUFLOW modelling logs are discussed in this page: TUFLOW Modelling Log.
The requirements for these example models are as per the Tutorial modules, and can therefore be run without a TUFLOW license by using the .tcf command Tutorial Model == ON. TUFLOW build 2016-03-AA or later is required to simulate the models.
TUFLOW has relatively modest system requirements for small models such as the tutorial model. However, larger and more complex models may have higher hardware requirements - in particular memory (RAM).
TUFLOW is available in both 32 and 64 bit versions. For a full list of the Hardware and Software requirements, please refer to the Tutorial home page.
Note: Currently the final 5 models, (EG09 and EG10) cannot be simulated license free as they require access to the Multiple 2D Domains and GPU modules respectively. Model 'EG00_2D_5m_002.tcf' (basic 2D model using US Customary Units) can only be simulated license free using the command Demo Model == ON and TUFLOW build 2016-03-AA or later.