Tute M07 MI 2D MAT
- Copy the contents of the Module_data\Module_07\Materials into the TUFLOW\model\mi folder. This folder contains the following two layers: 2d_mat_M07_DEV_001 and 2d_mat_M07_DEV_Buildings_001.
- Open both layers in the current view in MapInfo. The 2d_mat_M07_DEV_001 layer contains polygons defining grassed areas and roads within the proposed development. The 2d_mat_M07_DEV_Buildings_001 layer contains polygons defining the buildings within the proposed development.
- The materials attribute for a number of polygons representing proposed roads in the 2d_mat_M07_DEV_001 layer have not been assigned and will need to be populated. Assign a Material ID of 2 to these polygons as shown in the figure below. Leave the remaining larger polygon with a Material ID of 1.
All polygons within the 2d_mat_M07_DEV_Buildings_001 layer represent the buildings of the proposed development and will have the same Material ID of 3. Make use of the ‘Update Column’ feature to automatically assign this value to all objects at the same time. Select the dropdown menu Table > Update Column. Select 2d_mat_M07_DEV_Buildings_001 as the ‘Table to Update’ and ‘Material’ as the ‘Column to Update’. Type 3 in the Value field. Click OK when done. Viewing the 2d_mat_M07_DEV_Buildings_001 layer within a Table Browser should confirm that a value of 3 for the attribute ‘Material’ has been assigned to all objects.
- Open the Materials.csv file created in Module 1 within the TUFLOW\model\ folder to observe the Manning’s n values that will be assigned to each Material ID.
- Save and export both 2d_mat_M07_DEV_001 and 2d_mat_M07_DEV_Buildings_001 layers in MID/MIF format.
Two 2d_mat GIS layers have been created to define land use categories representing the proposed development. Please return to the main page of module 7.
This page describes the method for using MapInfo to create the GIS based material types (land use areas) for the proposed development. Once these layers have been setup, surface roughness or bed-resistance values (e.g. Manning’s n) are assigned to each of these land use areas via the materials.csv file created in Module 1.